Pages

Monday 24 November 2014

TOTALLY RANDOM.....

   Today is my friend's graduation, (shout out to @megtedy_) so while we were in the bathroom doing our "hair business" this thought popped into my head(no shade to anyone oh) here it goes; My friend's hair is natural #teamnatural  yay!! mine is relaxed #booooooo, hahaha. Alright back to the thought, So nowadays the new trend is natural hair.

Everywhere on instagram, facebook, you tube Africans/African-Americans in-fact black girls/women (yes I can use the phrase black cause am black too) everywhere are now taking pride in keeping their hair natural. Am not saying it's bad (am cutting mine soon) but here is the thing, are we just knowing now that our natural hair is kinky, wooly, coarse, afro? (whatever name you wanna call it) we were born with it, but because the white man's hair is smooth, silky, soft we decided to follow and retouch our hair with various hair chemicals (relaxers) to be like theirs.
           And now because one African-American somewhere living abroad decided to keep her hair natural, natural hair is the new cool. (don't get me wrong o, am not saying that there weren't Africans who kept their hair in the natural form, of course they were and still are) but majority followed the trend.
Now my thought is this, Will we ever be free from mental slavery? why do we always need approval from the western world to embrace what we are already blessed with? Same as bleaching our skin, personally I don't have an issue with this I might have used a cream or two in the past, or still using it----knowingly or un-knowingly *lol* but my concern is why do we think that black is not beautiful? Why do we have to alter our skin colour? Why did I have to use this cream (hypothetically speaking) it still goes back to this - Are we really free? Or still seeking the approval of others one way or the other?. 
      Now everywhere you go in the black community, all you hear is am going natural, yay!! team natural (among the females). **whispering, the price of hair relaxer will go down and hair extensions too (another bondage that we are still stuck in, to look more like an "OYIBO WOMAN") 
Am chopping my hair off soon, not because I want to follow the trend, but because I get bored and tired of various hair styles easily. 
    Oh well!!!
May God help us all. 
(This post is totally random and am not throwing shade at anyone, everyone is their own kind of beautiful. It's just a thought that occurred in my messed up mind. lol)

                                               Laters, stay fab.......

3 comments:

  1. Buahahahahaha...Team natural all the way sis.Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mind isn't messed up in this context. The natural look is the real deal ; I wore an afro look earlier in the year, I shall wear it again next year

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha, Women wahla

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be appreciated. Thank you!